Saturday, June 2, 2007

24 Hours with Cryptids and Followers

I'm up to 21,630 lines, 24 hours later. 156 lines of code -- I think this game will be as big as Fallacy of Dawn, which is 42,281 lines. At 156 lines a day this means I'll be finished in 4.41 months. 132 days, which takes me to October 10th. Christ, I could finish this by December, as that would leave me two months for beta-testing. I'm a better programmer than I was when I was writing Chicks Dig Jerks and A Crimson Spring (both initially very buggy) so two months would just about do it.

However, I have noticed that I can't write during the day. I'm going to give it one more shot tomorrow. If I don't get any work done before the sun sets I'm going to start scheduling real activities every single weekend rather than think I'm going to code and get nothing done. I mean, I'm not that shaken up by the lack of productivity during the daylight hours, as I am pretty dedicated to my job and need some downtime. But starting this log should help get me focused.

I don't think I can attach pictures to these notes, so I'll upload the splash screen for the game and update this post afterwards. The initial picture features a scene taken by Greg D'Avis (in Czechoslovakia) starring Gerrit Hamilton (in Georgia). The art style is consistent throughout the game and, like the title, I think it captures what the player is going to encounter when he plays this thing.

(Ah - the title of this log: I decided to have the game state who is following the player in a window. The window does other things, but it now clarifies that as well. Basically, I'm never going to be able to think of a hundred different ways to say, "Grimloft is following you" like they did for Slouching Towards Bedlam, so rather than try I am going all data-driven here.)

No comments: